[arch-general] Wiki contributions summarily deleted

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Sat Mar 13 12:39:59 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-13 03:13:31 (-0600), David C. Rankin via arch-general wrote:
> Archdevs,
>
>   This is getting ridiculous. Every wiki contribution is now summarily
> deleted, e.g.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Security&diff=next&oldid=654296
>
>   Editor's summary: Unsubstantiated claim and poor note.
>
> What? Toshiba has stored BIOS password outside of the BIOS for a decade. (not
> to mention anyone familiar with BIOS security should have encountered this
> years ago) And yet zero effort is made validate or invalidate the information
> without even the courtesy to ask to clarification.

You have not provided a link to any source backing the claim and the
provided information is vague (e.g. which exact models are affected?)

Frankly speaking, we are not here to validate the information, that you
provide and neither do we have the time to do so, especially if it is
just added as an unsubstantiated claim (are we supposed to go search the
internet for every piece of information that is added to the wiki and
not backed by verifiable information?).

Additionally, you did not use the note template [1].
I guess it's totally fair to revert that change.

>   I have noted this before. Help with Arch's wiki has changed to the point it
> is literally a waste of time. In the past Arch was welcoming of help with the
> wiki, it benefits the community and us all, but that is apparently no longer
> the case. The guidelines are substantially the same as they have always been,
> but contributions are just deleted summarily. Why the change?

There is a lot of vague and sometimes outright wrong information on the
wiki as is already.

Please provide some background information, if adding a note such as the
above (and use the note template).

Best,
David

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Template:Note