[arch-general] RFC: Use x86_64-v2 architecture

mpan archml-y1vf3axu at mpan.pl
Sat Mar 13 18:19:19 UTC 2021

> I am going to benchmark the performance difference between the various x86 uarch
> levels. I will be using Phoronix Test Suite, which has some support for
> performing compiler and compile flag benchmarks.
   I believe that for the purpose of this discussion that will be a
waste of your time. There is no disagreement on whether move from v1 to
v3 has a potential to improve performance. And this is what such
benchmarks are intended to show.

   Yes, synthetic tests are expected to show improvement. So are
specific tasks, which naturally benefit from tuning for newer CPUs. But
those results will not answer the important question: whether there is a
considerable improvement for a typical user.

   Anyway, the current status is to provide two repositories: one
generic x86_64 and one for x86_64-v3. This is not only solving the
problem. With two repositories user may simply choose the optimized
version and everyone can compare the options during their normal, daily
work.