[arch-general] snapcraft

Zero hz0885 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 10:25:17 UTC 2021

On 3/19/21 11:15 AM, Ralf Mardorf via arch-general wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there anything in particular you want to install, that isn't
> provided by Arch Linux repositories, the AUR or that is provided but
> broken or takes way to long to build or that is to old, or to new? Or do
> you consider the snap approach as more secure or is there some other
> reason for you to consider using a snap or several snaps?
>
> A long time ago I tested it, by building my own snap on an Ubuntu
> install and never tried to continue doing it for my Arch install. Even
> while some of the older pitfalls are seemingly eliminated nowadays, I
> neither like snaps nor anything similar.
>
> Using snaps unlikely will break your Arch Linux install. The
> definition of "compromise" might still apply, if you consider the snap
> approach as less secure than "regular" packages, let alone that
> interaction between snaps (as well as similar alternatives) and the
> software installed by "regular" packages is not without pitfalls, if
> possible at all.
>
> Consider to mention what you try to achieve by using a snap or several
> snaps.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

I am looking at the package Joplin to keep my notes in.

Joplin is in the AUR and I assume I can build it but then I need to
update it manually when new versions appear.

The advantage of having it updated through Pacman or maybe Snapcraft is
that it is updated automagically.

As Youri pointed out Flatpak is an alternative but that will run
applications in a sandbox.

Joplin is supported by Snapcraft and Flatpak so therefore I am looking
at them.

Regards, Harm-Jan