[arch-general] How to say Arch

stefan-husmann at t-online.de stefan-husmann at t-online.de
Sat May 15 09:37:51 UTC 2021

Hritik Vijay via arch-general <arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> writes:

> On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 11:25:52AM +0300, Caleb Maclennan via arch-general wrote:
>> Really? This is an issue Arch faces? Color me skeptical but it sounds
>> like a made up problem.
> I have met a few people calling it Ark. Also, we even had an April fools
> joke regarding this (https://archlinux.org/news/were-changing-our-name/).
> I'm not saying we must do this, I'm asking if there's a consensus and
> enthusiasm to pull this off.
>
> Hrtk

Hello,

I think this is not merely a real problem a but an occasion to produce a
funny song/video to promote Arch Linux. In german, "Arch" sounds similar
to the german word "Arsch", which means "ass" as in asshole - a running gag.

Btw. and a bit offtopic: I think the pronounciation for Suse promoted in
the video is completely wrong. I never heard someone pronounce it that
way. We should do better, if we at all do it.

Stefan