[arch-general] Fwd: A plea for communication from Arch devs & maintainers

archlinux at sammulvey.com archlinux at sammulvey.com
Wed Nov 3 03:19:38 UTC 2021

On 11/2/21 18:47, Christopher W. via arch-general wrote:
> Nowhere. Arch does not allow users to submit updates via the bug tracker. If they did, and actually accepted them, I think the outdated package problem wouldn't be quite as bad as it is now.

I've long wished that there was a clearer way to do this without
stepping on people's toes, as you say.  Maybe something as "simple" as
including an optional a diff with the out-of-date flag.  But barring that...

> I've maintained a lot of local package updates for security fixes where the maintainer went missing or ignored emails about it. Unfortunately this seems to be a requirement for anyone wanting an up-to-date Arch system these days.

This seems like something that could be informally organized in a way
that would make it easier for maintainers to interface with.

-Sam