[arch-general] NEW RECORD! 769 packages out of date

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 3 08:27:59 UTC 2021

On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 08:17:37AM +0100, Antonio Rojas via arch-general wrote:
> El miércoles, 3 de noviembre de 2021 1:21:24 (CET), Billy Morgan via
> arch-general escribió:
> > https://archlinux.org/packages/?sort=flag_date&flagged=Flagged
> >

> Ignoring for a moment the inapropriate tone of the message, I'll just point
> out that this number is completely meaningless, for the simple reason that
> it counts *pkgnames* and not *pkgbases*. So, for instance,
> firefox-developer-edition contributes almost 100 packages to the total
> count.

Including that this number is user supplied. It's either wrong, misguided or
invalid.

https://repology.org/repositories/statistics

7909 updated packages, 84.9%,
1393 outdated packages, 15.0%.

Repology is by no means accurate either. It struggles to detect valid package
versions and sometimes there are technicalities which is wrong. But generally
it's good enough to get an idea.

Now,

Please stop posting FUD people. This all started with a misguided reddit thread
and currentl spun on 4chan as a problem. That's what they do and clearly it
seems like it's working when people post threads like this pissing off
maintainers.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16