[arch-general] Fwd: A plea for communication from Arch devs & maintainers

Jonas Witschel diabonas at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 3 22:45:27 UTC 2021

On 2021-11-03 15:10, Sam Mulvey wrote:
> It took two people with an official email address to tell me how wrong I
> am.  This is such a perfect example of the problem that it kind of hurts.
> There's a word I've been trying to avoid using, because it's pretty
> semantically weighted: gatekeeping.

I am afraid I really do not see where you are coming from: on one hand, you are
concerned that there is not enough enough written documentation on how to
contribute to Arch. I completely understand and accept that criticism. That is
why Bruno and I have been trying to explain some useful ways to contribute in
this thread, in order to fill that documentation gap. Yet this very information
seems to then deter you from contributing because you see it as "gatekeeping".
I am somewhat at a loss where the sweet spot between no written contribution
guidelines and the suggestions we put out here would be for you.

Judging also by your other replies, there seems to be some unresolved issue
regarding past interactions with some team members. I want to reiterate that
nobody in this thread is trying to prove you wrong in any way - in fact, I
would argue there is not even a "right" or "wrong" position here at all, the
thread is about finding ways to make it easier for new users to contribute to
Arch. Unfortunately there is some context from your side here that I seem to be
missing, but which might not be for a public mailing list as well. If you want
to discuss this further, feel free to reach me in private, otherwise I think I
have said everything I wanted to tell about contributing to Arch for now.

Best,
Jonas

--
Jonas Witschel
Arch Linux Developer, Trusted User and security team member