[arch-general] DST-related log messages?

Geert Hendrickx geert at hendrickx.be
Mon Nov 8 13:52:58 UTC 2021

At least on Linux systems, the "time" isn't actually changing, as the
system clock is expressed in UTC internally (or rather, seconds elapsed
since UNIX epoch), and keeps increasing monotonically.  Only the human-
readable *display* of time is taking your local timezone into account,
and skips or repeats one hour on DST changes.

Special care must be taken when human-readable time is taken as *input*
though.  For example cron has some logic to make sure cronjobs (expressed
in local time) aren't skipped on summertime, or run twice on wintertime.
Applications may need to take care of this too.  But for the "system",
nothing changes wrt DST.

	Geert