[arch-general] Difficulty installing UEFI

Paul M. Foster paulf at quillandmouse.com
Mon Nov 15 21:43:10 UTC 2021

Folks:

I have a 2017 Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 that I'm using to try to install
Arch on a hard drive. I've formatted the drive (under Arch, using fdisk,
with gpt partition, etc.), gone through the installation up to the point
where I run grub-install with this command:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=grub_uefi --recheck

The error(s):

EFI variables are not supported on this system.

grub-install: errors

efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: No such file or directory.

This particular machine originally had an MBR disk in it, and I'm not
sure if the BIOS supports UEFI. Should I give up on using this machine
to install a UEFI Arch disk, or is there some workaround?

Paul