[arch-general] Arch Linux accessibility install: audio doesn't work!

u34 at net9.ga u34 at net9.ga
Wed Nov 24 16:33:12 UTC 2021

John Berden via arch-general <arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

> Hello!
> So! When I was able to install Arch Linux on a virtual machine with
> ArchInstall script, I decided to install it on my real pc.
> I use Acer Nitra 5 laptop with the following parameters:
> Six-core Intel i5-11400H
> System board chipset Intel Tiger Point HM570, Intel Tiger Lake-H
> DIMM1: Samsung M471A1K43EB1-CWE
> DIMM3: Samsung M471A1K43EB1-CWE
> Integrated video Intel(R) UHD Graphics
> Discrete video NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU
>
> I'm blind, for this reason, I should use Espeak during installation.
> So. I downloaded Arch Linux on my USB device. Chose the USB in boot
> menu, pressed the down arrow and ENTER, and the sound doesn't work!
> On the virtual machine I did the same. It should be added that with
> other Linux distributions and operating systems on this USB device
> everything works.
> As I understand it, the console opens, since the reboot command works.
> I tried to use USB headset, it doesn't work too.
> What can I try to do?
> Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I don't know to what degree, if at all, the following is related to your
issue. It looks to me as if your audio hardware is Intel related. For
some time now that speaker-test, from alsa-utils, is not working for me.
I think the whole sound system does not work. speaker-test is just a
sympthom. Some more details are:

Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

    linux 5.15.2.arch1-1
        (I have newer kernel. it is just when I wrote down
         the alsa packages version)
    alsa-lib 1.2.5.1-3
    alsa-topology-conf 1.2.5.1-1
    alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.5.1-1
    alsa-utils 1.2.5.1-1
    zita-alsa-pcmi 0.3.2-3

There is no problem with a live CD, which is an arch deraivative. It has
the following:
    linux 5.12.13.arch1-1
    alsa-firmware 1.2.4-2
    alsa-lib 1.2.5.1-3
    alsa-oss 1.1.8-3
    alsa-topology-conf 1.2.5.1-1
    alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.5.1-1
    alsa-utils 1.2.5.1-1
    zita-alsa-pcmi 0.3.2-3

There fore, I think something between June 2021 and now broke the sound
system.
I am trying to bisect it, but have no results so far.

--
u34