[arch-general] Firefox Ctrl-W

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Tue Oct 26 17:03:31 UTC 2021

On 2021-10-26 18:26, Paul Dann via arch-general wrote:
> Thanks; I had actually previously tried manually unpacking and
> re-packing
> the omni.ja file, but the step to remove the startupCache was new to
> me.

The cache clear is important, but also a mistake people make trying to
patch
the omni.ja file is not padding the replacement with spaces so
everything is
still in the expected byte positions.

> I'm afraid the patch still didn't seem to work for me. I have the
> Shortkeys
> extension installed and set to block Ctrl+W, but the tab still closed
> when
> I pressed the dreaded shortcut. So I guess there's still something I'm
> missing.

The patch doesn't change the key binding in Firefox, it only unlocks it
from
the reserved bindings list so that you *can* remove the assignment or
assign it
to something else. After patching you still need to go into your Firefox
binding configuration and remove or re-assign the CTRL-W to something
else.

Caleb