[arch-general] GDB C++ pretty printer issues

Vasi Vilvoiu vasi.vilvoiu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 15:59:10 UTC 2021

Hi y'all!

With the latest September update to gdb[1] the builtin pretty printers
for (at least) unique_ptr no longer work.

   (gdb) p x
   $2 = std::unique_ptr<foo> = {get() = {<No data fields>}}

Downgrading to gdb 10.2 seems to fix the issue, but I can't figure out
what the underlying cause is.

It's either because
  (a) our gcc[2] and gcc-libs packages are out of date since July[3]
_and_ GDB does not support pretty printers for the older stdc++ version or
  (b) there's a bug in gdb 11.1

Testing out the first hypothesis would mean compiling gcc 11.2 from
source, which is something I'm not looking forward. Does anyone else
have any knowledge that may be relevant to this issue?

--
Best regards,
Vasi Vilvoiu

[1] https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/gdb/