[arch-general] ndiswrapper-dkms: v1.63 with patches and notes

David Wang cryptic.triangles at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 11:19:03 UTC 2021

Greetings,

I apologise in advance if this email was sent in the wrong area as I am
not familiar with where this should be directed to.

ndiswrapper-dkms has been flagged out of date for quite awhile,
https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/ndiswrapper-dkms/ and
there has been no updates/news with regards to it. So I decided to
tackle the issue.

The upstream source indicates v1.63 has been released,
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/files/stable/ however it
does not compile against kernel 5.8 or later (as of writing, Arch Linux
is up to 5.14.2-arch1-2);
https://sourceforge.net/p/ndiswrapper/bugs/272/ and
https://sourceforge.net/p/ndiswrapper/discussion/323168/thread/17c9cdb567/?limit=25#e6b5

Initially, I have located a patch from a repository for another Linux
distribution, Fedora,
https://lists.rpmfusion.org/archives/list/rpmfusion-commits@lists.rpmfusion.org/thread/7D6NFH2IH7FDA35NLHPHWZLK2YTY36QV/
Though getting this to work via dkms has been rather tricky, and in my
case I have found that the only way to get it compiled was to fully
disable NX bit (both 64bit and 32bit),
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit

Thereafter, I have noticed another patch,
https://github.com/pgiri/ndiswrapper/issues/6#issuecomment-784579834
This patch does not appear to require disabling of NX bit during
kernel module compile time, but it probably does require NX bit
disabled when loading the compiled kernel module. I do not have any
64bit windows driver that I could use to test against the
network hardware that I have. Other than that, it does compile with
v1.63 and with kernel 5.14.2-arch1-2.

Attached below includes an updated but hackish PKGBUILD, the
initial patch, as well as relevant logs. The latter patch can be easily
obtained, therefore it is not included.

Best regards,

David