[arch-general] Voice support for gajim and pidgin

Storm Dragon stormdragon2976 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 19:21:19 UTC 2022

Howdy,

I have tried both pidgin and gajim for making audio calls using my xmpp
server. Both of them say they are missing packages. Here's a sample from
gajim:

Requires: gir1.2-farstream-0.2, gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0,
gstreamer1.0-plugins-base, gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly,
gstreamer1.0-libav, and gstreamer1.0-gtk3

I even tried upgrading to jagim-git, and got the same thing. Here is how
the dependency list looks after installation completes:

(1/1) installing gajim-git
[############################################################]
100%Optional dependencies for gajim-git
     python-dbus: for gajim-remote and zeroconf support [installed]
     farstream: for video/voice support [installed]
     gst-plugins-good: for video/voice support [installed]
     gst-plugins-bad: for video/voice support [installed]
     gst-plugins-ugly: for video/voice support [installed]
     gst-libav: for video/voice support [installed]
     gst-python: for video/voice support [installed]
     gst-plugin-gtk: for video support
     gsound: for notification sounds [installed]
     gspell: for spell checking support [installed]
     libxss: for idle time checking on X11 [installed]
     libappindicator-gtk3: to get a tray icon on some desktop
environments
     notification-daemon: for desktop notifications [installed]
     gnome-keyring: store passwords encrypted in GNOME Keyring
     kded: store passwords encrypted in KSecretService
     python-crypto: support for E2E encryption
     python-docutils: for RST generator support
     gupnp-igd: for UPnP-IGD support [installed]
     geoclue2: for sharing your location
:: Running post-transaction hooks...

the output from pidgin looks very similar. So I'm curious, am I missing
something here or is audio support just broken in both of these? I have
audio support using conversations in Android, but why use that when
there's a perfectly good computer running Arch right at my fingertips
lol.

Also, I was wondering if there's a CLI based xmpp client that supports
audio? I have searched and there seem to be quite a few, but none that I
have found that specifically mentions audio with the jingle protocol, or
audio at all for that matter.

Thanks,
Storm