[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] RFC: Forbid dummy packages from AUR

George Rawlinson grawlinson at archlinux.org
Mon Apr 4 23:38:19 UTC 2022

On 22-03-24 13:14, Óscar García Amor via arch-general wrote:
> El jue, 24 mar 2022 a las 12:54, Jonathon Fernyhough via arch-general
> (<arch-general at lists.archlinux.org>) escribió:
> >
> > On 24/03/2022 07:39, Óscar García Amor via arch-general wrote:
> > > But why?
> >  >
> >  > I don't quite understand why this should be banned.
> >
> > It's essentially the equivalent of installing a package then -Rdd a
> > dependency. Would that process be encouraged in other situations?
>
> Not exactly, it depends on the package. There are packages that create
> users and do not remove them after uninstallation, so not all packages
> have a 100% clean uninstallation (not counting the impact on the disk,
> fragmentation...).

If I remember correctly, the reason we don't remove users/groups on
uninstall is due to security reasons. It is self-explanatory why
package log/state dirs are not removed.

And I don't think fragmentation has been an issue since 1999. The impact
on the disk is negligible, let's be honest.

--
George Rawlinson