[arch-general] [grub] how to make grub use the integrated intel gpu, rather than the discrete nvidia one?

Javier je-vv at e.email
Tue Apr 12 08:19:59 UTC 2022

Hello !

On a laptop with dual GPU, I'm able to disable nvdia, following instructions under [1], though I'm thinking that was not necessary, since I'm using early kms with intel [2]:

> % grep i915 /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
> MODULES=(i915)

And I don't use the xf86-video-* Xorg drivers, since I prefer the glamor Xorg ones:

> [    94.997] (II) modeset(0): glamor X acceleration enabled on Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)

Now, I noticed grub is actually using the nvdia gpu, because it doesn't support specifying GRUB_GFXMODE to "auto", neither "1920x1080x32", well, it doesn't complain, but the resolution I get for any is terrible, and when I disable the framebuffer [3]:

> # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal
> #GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console

I do get the right resolution, though I totally lose my background image, which is sad.

But it's not only aesthetics, it seems, at times, when loading the initrd image on boot, the system freezes, and there's no alternative than a hard boot, which might be related.

If you're wondering, this is a HP zbook 15 g6.

Thanks !

--
Javier

[1]  https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/hybrid_graphics