[arch-general] Wiki - Error: Warning: You have not provided an edit summary... I did comply with 3 fundamental rules

David C. Rankin drankinatty at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 20:35:07 UTC 2022

All,

  The wiki has become almost impossible to help with. After experiencing an
error transferring to my Arch samba shares and finding the solution on
Apple.Stackexchange.com I was adding that short section to the end of the
troubleshooting entires. However, despite providing an edit summary and
complying with the remaining 2 fundamental rules, I cannot save the edit. I
get the Error:

Error:
Warning: You have not provided an edit summary, which is an enormous help for
other users who want to review your changes, see ArchWiki:Contributing#The 3
fundamental rules.

  Over the past 11 years the wiki has increasing become hostile to user
contributions. I hope this is a temporary bug. In the past the community made
our Archwiki the best Linux distro wiki going by keeping it current and
providing solutions to current problems. The Archwikin was a one-stop-shop. If
the community can no longer contribute, it will cease to be so.

  The entry I was adding is:

=== IOS Files can no longer copy-to Samba share on Archlinux beginning with
IOS 14.5===

Beginning with IOS 14.5 attempting to transfer from a device running IOS using
the "Files" app to a samba share on Archlinux will result in the error:

 The operation couldn't be completed
 Operation canceled

To correct this problem, add add the following to the global section of your
{{ic|smb.conf}} and restart samba (e.g. {{ic|sudo systemctl restart smb}}).
Comment optional:

 ## addition for IOS Files transfer-to server
 vfs object = fruit streams_xattr

See [https://apple.stackexchange.com/q/424681 Apple.Stackexchange.com - "The
operation couldn't be completed"/"Operation canceled" error message when
saving to a Samba share via Files app]

  The edit summary was:

/* Added Section - IOS Files can no longer copy-to Samba share on Archlinux
beginning with IOS 14.5 */

  I will have to leave it to one of the Archdevs to add. No matter what I do,
I'm returned to the same error:

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.