[arch-general] Linux server crash causing router switch to stop working

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Feb 10 23:32:22 UTC 2022

Following up on this crash issue I keep having with my Arch server.
Basically server just completely freezes up - doesn't respond to pings,
or keyboard/mouse input, and eventually has to just be rebooted.

Good news is:

a) after upgrading everything (including the router firmware) it no
longer seems to hang my entire router/network (yay!)

b) I was able to get a screenshot of the issue (more details about that
below)

Bad news is:

It keeps happening! (About once a week or so.)

I was able to capture a screenshot from the VM.  (See
http://darose.net/ServerCrash20220209.png)  Basically this is the only
thing that's providing me with any detail as to why it's crashing:
"rcu_preempt detected stalls on cpus/tasks".  But searching on that
phrase didn't really give any clear indication what the problem might
be.  Plus the rest of the details from that message got obscured in the
garbled video output.

Any thoughts/suggestions as to what might be happening here / how to
debug welcome!

Thanks,

DR