[arch-general] Power Management on Thinkpad 5W30

naicam|ne naicamine at sl4mm3r5.com
Sun Feb 13 01:06:05 UTC 2022

I can't get power management working on my laptop. I have tlp-stat
installed and it's showing a 1.9% capacity, but I don't think that's an
accurate figure. This is a fairly new install. It worked fine under windows.

I've been trying a lot of things, but at this point it feels more like
I'm just going to do more damage trying things than actually making any
progress on my own.

One thing I don't know about is if this model supports the thinkpad_ec
kernel module, because I cant get it to load. I'm also running the
hardened kernel, and don't know if that's supported either.

I'm not sure at this point that thats even the right direction to be
going in.

But this https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Laptop/Lenovo#W_series says
that power management is supported, and this
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi#W_series seems to indicate that
tp_smapi -doesn't- work with this model, but that's a little unclear to
me, especially since that page was last updated in 2016.

But simply setting the thresholds manually hasn't given me very good
results at all.

--