[arch-general] Power Management on Thinkpad W530

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at m2x.dev
Sun Feb 13 03:17:43 UTC 2022

On 13/02/2022 02:04, naicam|ne via arch-general wrote:
 > I run LXDE, and the hardened kernel, 5.15.21

As I say, a more standard kernel would be worth trying, `linux` for 5.16
and `linux-lts` for 5.15.

 > I have tlp 1.5.0-4 tlp-rdw 1.5.0-4 acpi_call-dkms 1.2.2-1 and
tp_smapi-dkms 0.43-4 installed

Given the age of the W530, acpi_call is the one you want, tp_smapi is
for older models.

 > I also had installed powertop and that wont run. This is the error
from that: modprobe cpufreq_stats failedFailed to mount debugfs!

Does the hardened kernel let you mount debugfs to get power usage
information?

 > simply setting the thresholds manually hasn't given me very good
results at all

Have you tried with _not_ setting charging thresholds, and _not_ using
TLP? Does the battery charge when in the BIOS, or booted into the
archinstall image?