[arch-general] Updating a (local) repository based on dependency changes

Knut Ahlers knut at ahlers.me
Wed Feb 23 10:39:42 UTC 2022

Hey there,

Through the latest update in glibc an issue / question emerged for me
and maybe someone on this list has some input for me how to solve
this:

We do have a repository with custom built packages (for example a
custom version of ffmpeg we need for internal purposes)… These
packages obviously do have dependencies on libraries and break when
there is a change in a library. In this case: "version `GLIBC_2.34'
not found".

Is there anyone who solved this already? How is it solved in the
Archlinux core / community repo?

What is your trigger to rebuild packages and prevent running into some
command not finding its dependencies? So how do you know when to
rebuild [some binary package depending on glibc] without manually
keeping track of the glibc version you've built the package against
and then triggering the re-build when any of the underlying library
changes its version?

How does the Archlinux community/core/extra build system keep track of
this and knows when to rebuild ffmpeg because glibc changed?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Cheers,
  Knut

--