[arch-general] Why is README stripped from gawk package?

Tinu Weber takeya at bluewin.ch
Sun Jan 9 15:06:56 UTC 2022

On Sun, Jan 09, 2022 at 13:31:16 +0100, Uwe Koloska via arch-general wrote:
> Am 09.01.22 um 06:10 schrieb mpan via arch-general:
> >
> >    If anything is missing, consider filing a bug report to gawk
> > developers at <bug-gawk at gnu.org>.
>
> Why should upstream follow Arch's rules when installing? It is the
> responsibility of the Arch maintainer to provide the README file in the
> right place -- when it is useful, as in this case.

As others have stated, the README contains information only relevant for
people who build awk, but not so much for the end users.

Moreover, Arch mostly tries to distribute software with little or no
modifications to the original source (unless absolutely required to make
it work). So if upstream chooses not to install the README as part of
`make install`, I don't think it's the responsibility of the Arch
maintainers to change that.

Cheers,
Tinu