[arch-general] User-Submitted Package Updates (how it could possibly work)

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Mon Jan 17 08:22:10 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-17 01:24, Philip Evens via arch-general wrote:
> tl;dr: Users submit PKGBUILD diffs, anyone with commit access builds
> and pushes them. What do you think?

I agree something along these lines can and should be done, but I also
think there are a few pitfalls with the scheme you outlined.

I think it will be better to finish the migration from SVN → Git for all
the repository files and tooling. Once PKGBUILDs are in Git and hosted
on Arch's GitLab installation and the tooling is updated so that build
and release workflows revolve around this, it will be *much* easier to
reason about how non-developer contributions fit into the mix. Any
effort to organize this on existing infrastructure is going to have many
more edge cases that are potential security holes and create technical
debt that make this migration harder.

Good idea, but lets talk about it after that transition has happened.

Incidentally there is some talk of reorganizing the
[core]/[extra]/[community] repository splits that is also mixed up with
both the tooling migration to Git and renaming of developer/tu roles.
Sorting those out first will also make it easier to reason about a
workflow for end user packaging contributions to official repositories.

Caleb