[arch-general] [SOLVED] Can't mount vfat filesystem

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Sat Jan 22 15:12:37 UTC 2022

Hello Uwe,
funnily, I did reboot my system, being aware of such issues. I did have to
update a few user utilities once again, because a lot of dependency updates
were happening at the same time upstream, but those were just python stuff and
some networking libraries, as required for my mail program. It's odd. Still,
I'm just glad it works.

Best wishes and thanks,

Jeanette

Jan 22 2022, Uwe Sauter has written:

> HI Jeanette,
>
> I suppose you updated you system but did not reboot before trying to mount
> that filesystem?
>
> Then the behaviour is easily explained: during the update of the kernel (the
> package is named linux) all files belonging to the running kernel are removed
> and replaced with new files under a new path (corresponding to the new kernel
> version)!
>
> This means that every action that tries to load a kernel module (explicit
> using modprobe or implicit by trying to mount a filesystem, whose module was
> not yet loaded) is unable to find said module and thus fail. There is no
> other way as to reboot in order to activate the new kernel and its modules.
>

> There is no mount.vfat executable because the kernel does not need such
> helper binary to mount vfat.
>

> Regards,
>
> 	Uwe
>

> Am 22.01.22 um 14:09 schrieb Jeanette C. via arch-general:
>>  After a further reboot FAT filesystems can now be mounted, which is
>>  strange. I found a side note about that somewhere. I did reboot after
>>  installing the new kernel.
>>
>>  Best wishes,
>>
>>  Jeanette
>>
>>  Jan 22 2022, David Rosenstrauch via arch-general has written:

>>>  Maybe try installing dosfstools?
>>>
>>>  DR

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Baby, there's something about you
Show me, that nothing can hold you down <3
(Britney Spears)