[arch-general] pacman Segfault on full system update

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 15:08:34 UTC 2022

Op vr 24 jun. 2022 15:34 schreef David C. Rankin via arch-general <
arch-general at lists.archlinux.org>:

> On 6/24/22 04:11, Guus Snijders via arch-general wrote:
> > Perhaps you already did so, but did you check the health of the host
> > (filesystem & RAM)?
> >

> Host filesystem and RAM are 100% good. RAID arrays are scrubbed and
> mismatch_cnt is zero. Filesystem checks fine. No RAM or any type MCE on
> the host.

Good work!
I'll admit that my experience with vm's is limited, hypervisor bugs didn't
cross my mind at first.

> You mentioned a couple of errors, like segfaults and decompression errors.
> > Especially that last one sounds like a corruption somewhere....
> >

> > As these errors happened in a VM, is it possible to copy the virtual
> > harddisk to another host (hardware) and trying again?
> >

> I haven't done that before, but no reason I wouldn't be able to move the
> install to hardware. If I recall VirtualBox even has a specific procedure
> do that.

Apologies, I meant moving the guest to a (virtualbox) hypervisor on another
(physical) machine (still running as a VM).
After reading the forum post on more issues with virtualbox, I doubt that
this will make a difference, though.

> To be honest: the RAM is my first suspect, but it could very well be an io
> > error on the underlying host. I really doubt that it's caused by the
> > installed software.
>
> I suspect it is a VM guest issue. [...]there is something going on with
> this VM. Though other
> guests show the same behavior, so it may be a VirtualBox issue itself.

Indeed, this could very well be a software issue after all.

I guess that the logs on the host (outside the VM) don't give some clues
(errors, warnings)?

Mvg, Guus Snijders