[arch-general] sound problem with chromium

Pascal patatetom at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:05:14 UTC 2022

hi,

I have an ArchLinux installed on a usb disk (eg. "mobile").

~ # uname -r
5.15.37-1-lts
~ # pacman -Q | egrep 'alsa|chromium|firefox|mplayer'
alsa-lib 1.2.6.1-1
alsa-topology-conf 1.2.5.1-1
alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.6.3-1
alsa-utils 1.2.6-1
chromium 101.0.4951.54-1
firefox 100.0-1
mplayer 38359-1

when it runs on my Dell Latitude E5250, Chromium works without any
difficulty to play a YouTube video for example : the sound is ok (same for
Firefox or Mplayer).

on the other hand, when it runs on my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, Chromium
has problems with the sound (which is not the case for Firefox or Mplayer
which both produce sound).
it happens from time to time in this (hardware) environment that Chromium
produces sound and the next moment (simple stop/restart of the browser) it
fails (without anything being done in between) !
another surprising thing is that if I access a video (zunRcH4nUPI) this way
"chromium https://www.youtube.com/" (and then click on the desired video) I
often don't get any sound while if I access it this way "chromium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zunRcH4nUPI" the sound works !

I spent a lot of time trying to understand the problem and looking for a
solution/track on the internet but, having found nothing, I throw a bottle
in the water...

regards, lacsaP.