[arch-general] Rollback to specific date works fine -- but really slow download

David C. Rankin drankinatty at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:06:08 UTC 2022

On 5/13/22 3:24 AM, mpan via arch-general wrote:
>>    The rollback worked flawlessly, but is there anything that can be done to
>> help the download rate? Due to the ICU 7.0->7.1 update, there were 368
>> packages in 1.3GiB to download. At 300->500KiB it took forever.
>   Did you use ArchLinux Archive? It’s meant for solving crisis situations, not
> for everyday usage.

Yes, (I think so)

  I followed the wiki and modified mirrorlist to contain:

Server=https://archive.archlinux.org/repos/2022/03/15/$repo/os/$arch

Originally, I just wanted to downgrade samba, but due to the ICU 7.0 -> 7.1
update a huge number of dependencies were broken, and that's where the
roll-back really saved the day.

  I didn't use the "Historical Archive", from reading the wiki, that wouldn't
have been doable in this case.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.