[arch-general] In pacman view, -debug package doesn't depends on its non -debug package

Andy Pieters arch-general at andypieters.me.uk
Wed May 25 16:52:01 UTC 2022

On Wed, 25 May 2022 at 17:26, u34--- via arch-general <
arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

> Am I right the new -debug packages do not depend, pacman wise, on their
> binary, non -debug packages? By that I mean pacman --upgrade somepkg-debug
> will sucsseed even when somepkg is not installed.
> Such dependency looks to me obvoius. Why was it decided not to have it?

Don't want to go "this distro does it too" but just like CentOS, if you ask
for a debuginfo package, it doesn't imply that you want the binary upon
which it is based.

e.g. in Centos with debug repo enabled you can install bluez-debuginfo
without having to install bluez.

You can want to debug a trace without having to install the application and
all its libraries etc