[arch-mirrors] syncing ftpfull

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 11:33:18 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 21:44, Carlos Carvalho <carlos at fisica.ufpr.br> wrote:
> Roman Kyrylych (roman.kyrylych at gmail.com) wrote on 24 July 2010 19:50:
>  >There's not much point in mirroring it if you don't mirror the sources.
>
> This is always a hotly-debated issue in free software circles. We'd
> like to have the sources if they're not already in the usual
> distribution. We have them for the other distros we mirror.
>
> Could you please say where the sources are exactly? Each distribution
> puts them in a different place and it'd be easier than searching for
> them in kernel.org.

Sources for GPLed packages are in 'sources' directory.
Sources with dead upstream, Arch-specific projects
and patches etc. are in 'other' directory.
For example:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/other/
http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/sources/

If tier1 mirrors want to sync everything -
they can sync from kitchensink_tier1 stanza,
however in that case it would be nice to either
exclude archive, other and sources directory from public rsync access,
or warn downstream tier2 mirrors that they should
exclude those dirs from syncing, if they don't want sources
(some tier2 mirrors are limited in space).

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)