[arch-mirrors] Outdated mirrors

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 08:11:14 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 20:31, Mihael Pranjić <mpranj at limun.org> wrote:
> Is it just me or are most of the arch mirrors outdated/slow-syncing? I
> sync every hour and its always the same. When there is a KDE update or
> so all the mirrors get outdated. This was a problem with the old
> mirroring scheme, and to me it seems to be the same now. Is this a
> problem with few Tier-1 mirrors or is archlinux.org still overstrained
> when there are huge updates?

Not all mirrors switched to multi-tier scheme yet,
however these are limited in bandwidth compared to tier1 mirrors,
so syncing from tier 1 mirror should not be slow.
According to mirror status page [1] the delay for manyof mirrors is
not that bad,
however I did not check these numbers during major repo updates.

> I am ready to set up rsync and allow 10-20 mirrors (start with 10 and
> see how it works with the bandwidth) in Europe, preferred Germany - if
> this can help us get our mirrors synced fast even with such updates.

We already have 2 tier1 mirrors in Germany and 1 in UK,
so I don't know if there is a need for another one,
so feedback from potential tier2 mirrors would be welcome.

> I think a bleeding-edge linux distribution should definitely not have
> issues with slow syncs. When there is a security update or an update
> like KDE it should be out there as fast as possible, no matter which
> mirror you use.

Do you suggest to increase sync time to less than 1 hour?
Perhaps we could try that.

To every mirror admin subscribed to this list:
please voice your opinion on the issues raised in this mail.
Since you are the guys that provide the service
- it is important for us to provide you with possibilities to make it better.

[1] https://www.archlinux.de/?page=MirrorStatus;orderby=delay;sort=asc

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)