[arch-mirrors] mirror load

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 06:19:03 EDT 2011

On Thursday 21 April 2011 01:58:20 Torje Hoås Digernes wrote:
> I was considering setting up a mirror for archlinux. Regarding this I
> was trying to find an estimate on the load I must expect. I expect the
> load only to be an issue for the hardware trying to serve it as the
> mirror will be on a solid net.
>
> Could anyone help me estimate the load of a full mirror in Norway?

To be honest, any half-capable server should be sufficient to shovel data down
the pipe; it's the bandwidth that's likely to be the limiting factor, unless
it becomes ridiculously popular.

I maintain mirrors.uk2.net which is a tier-1 mirror for Arch, and also hosts
other mirrors (CPAN, Debian etc).

Looking at my graphs, it sees an average of 6Mbps outbound over the last week,
with peaks up to ~60Mbps.

Load tends to stay pretty low - for instance, right now:

[dave at mirrors:~]$ uptime
 11:15:31 up 210 days, 19 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

The load will increase somewhat when rsync'ing mirrors, but not massively
(primarily IO-bound).

So, in summary: your main concerns will be bandwidth and disc IO.

Cheers

Dave P

--
David Precious  ("bigpresh")
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

   "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
   it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)