[arch-mirrors] hive.ist.unomaha.edu: political nonsense and incompetence

Zack Buhman zbuhman at pki.nebraska.edu
Fri Feb 15 21:28:57 EST 2013

We have been forced/ordered by UNO IS to disallow connections from
outside 137.48.0.0/16 to hive.ist.unomaha.edu.

Allegedly the Lincoln campus is having "bandwidth issues", and the
North campus network engineers are quickly pointing their fingers at
everyone except for themselves (which is absurd; network utilization
on hive is relatively light to begin with--but nobody wants to listen
to us). They're also somewhat upset that on
https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/ the mirror is falsely attributed to
North campus "unomaha.edu", rather than us, "ist.unomaha.edu".

I know how terrible it is for mirrors to do this, but I'd much like to
not risk my job over this; my sincerest apologies--it's even worse for
me, because HP was about to give us a $15,000 server donation (they
donate to "open source" causes or something I guess) to replace hive,
but of course IS can't let nice things like this happen.

Hopefully we'll be able to clear our name soon--in the meantime, I
thought I would proactively explain why your probe is unable to talk
to hive.