[arch-mirrors] Mirror Stats Project - Using weblogs to gather useful information

Tyler Dence tyzoid.d at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 02:53:08 UTC 2017

I've made a post about this topic on the arch forums, but I thought I'd
bring it to the attention of the mailing list here.

So I run a mirror over at https://arlm.tyzoid.com/, and I decided it would
be cool to see if I can't get some interesting information back from the
logs generated.

Currently, I have a list of the most downloaded packages (compiled nightly):

   - https://stats.arlm.tyzoid.com/pkgstats.json
   - https://stats.arlm.tyzoid.com/pkgstats.txt

And a graph of network traffic:

   - https://stats.arlm.tyzoid.com/

I'm wondering if there's any other information that might be interesting to
make available, or if anyone else here is interested in contributing some
of their own collected data for the stats project. If so, we should get a
project up on github sometime to have a unified method/web viewer.

Some caveats that I impose for now, to protect privacy:

   - IP addresses will be available, nor any IP Prefix.
   - Geographic data will be made available at no more than a weekly
   granularity (exception for summary data which spans multiple weeks)
   - Geographic data will not be made available with more granularity than
   state/province.

Perhaps there should also be some discussion regarding what logs are
kept/deleted?