[arch-mirrors] Updated mirror script for better delay values on our website

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Sun Jul 30 17:56:21 UTC 2017

Hi,

Quite a while ago I introduced the lastupdate file so that mirrors that
want to sync very often (every minute) can do so without incurring high
traffic overhead. The script first checks if that file changed before
starting rsync.

However, this simple approach did not work well with the delay
statistics calculated by our website[1]. Because of this I have now
updated the script so that if no changes are detected, the lastsync
timestamp is still updated. I have also improved documentation and
performed some refactoring.

You can grab the updated script at the same location as before.
Colorful link: https://git.server-speed.net/users/flo/bin/tree/syncrepo.sh
DL link: https://git.server-speed.net/users/flo/bin/plain/syncrepo.sh

Tier 2 admins please note that this will only reduce your mirror delay
to nearly 0 if the tier 1 mirror you sync from also uses this script. If
they do not use it, you will have roughly the same delay as them.

I plan to contact tier 1 admins that are using the old script soon, but
first I want to see how much effect sending the mail to just the mailing
list has.

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/

Florian