[arch-mirrors] CDN based/caching mirror?

Kristian Klausen kristian at klausen.dk
Sun Jan 26 16:19:10 UTC 2020

Hi

I'm considering setting up a Arch Linux mirror and I'm considering a
different design.

So instead of mirroring the whole thing, the idea is to mirror only the
database files (core.db etc) and download the packages on demand from a
Tier 1 mirror (and let nginx cache them). By doing it that way, I only
download requested packages from the Tier 1 mirrors, instead of
downloading the whole thing (saving Tier 1 bandwidth).

To provide even better performance a CDN (ex: Cloudflare) could be used
to provide more caching. So we end up with a setup like this:
Cloudflare -> Nginx cache -> Tier1 mirrors (nginx with multiple upstream)

Do I miss something? Is this a bad idea?
If I do setup a mirror like that, is there any chance it could be added
as a official mirror?

Best regards
Kristian Klausen