[arch-mirrors] CDN based/caching mirror?

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 20:52:03 UTC 2020

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 17:19:10 +0100
Kristian Klausen via arch-mirrors <arch-mirrors at archlinux.org> wrote:
> So instead of mirroring the whole thing, the idea is to mirror only
> the database files (core.db etc) and download the packages on demand
> from a Tier 1 mirror (and let nginx cache them). By doing it that
> way, I only download requested packages from the Tier 1 mirrors,
> instead of downloading the whole thing (saving Tier 1 bandwidth).

I'm not quite sure what problem you're trying to solve - tier 1 servers
have plenty of bandwidth, otherwise they shouldn't be running such a
mirror, and I'd wager that downstream mirrors syncing occasionally
pales in comparison to end user traffic, so I don't think you need to
really worry about the upstream.

If your concern is *your* bandwidth or disk space, then you probably
shouldn't be setting up a public mirror at all - assuming, of course,
that it is a public mirror you're talking about here, and not just a
an internal network cache to point your boxes at so that you only
download each package once, not once for every machine.

> To provide even better performance a CDN (ex: Cloudflare) could be
> used to provide more caching.

Others have already addressed that this may break Cloudflare's terms,
as they're designed to optimise websites by hosting HTML/JS.

> Do I miss something? Is this a bad idea?

Immediate thought is that the first request for each package could seem
unacceptably slow, as your mirror would have to fetch it first before
it could serve it to the client, and for larger packages, that could
begin to make it feel slow (especially if also doing that for ISOs,
etc).  It also means that if your upstream is temporarily down, you
have an incomplete mirror which appears reachable but fails to serve
some files, which is probably not ideal.

To me, it feels rather like you're trying to solve a problem which
doesn't really exist.

Cheers

Dave P