[arch-mirrors] Investigating questionable rsync behavior

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Sun Apr 11 05:56:37 UTC 2021

On 4/10/21 3:27 AM, Easy Lee via arch-mirrors wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I noticed something strange going on with rsyncd on my mirror but I am not sure if it is an actual issue on my end. Someone able to give advice?

(SNIP)

Does this always occur with the same client IP? If so, it sounds like an
issue with that client's networking. Namely either a faulty line or,
more likely a forged RST. The latter occurs in a good amount of
corporate firewalls, particularly to manage bandwidth quota-ing (and
happens to be the preferred method the "Great Firewall of China", a.k.a.
the firewall component of China's Golden Shield Project, uses to sever
connections).

That'd be my guess, though, and first step - determine if it's always
the same client address or ASN registration.

--
brent saner
https://square-r00t.net/