[arch-multilib] Bug with lib32-zlib PKGBUILD

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 11:57:20 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 14:54 +0200, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:47:35 +0200, Rémy Oudompheng
> <remyoudompheng at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'm just thinking there's a reason zlib is supposed to be compiled
> >> without optimizations (as shown in the current PKGBUILD), just that the
> >> line shown doesn't work as intended =)
> >>

> > I'd rather think that zlib, had a real benefit from being compiled with -O3,
> > and since it is widely used, maybe preformance was important. The thing is,
> > I don't think people have reported problems with zlib in regular packages,
> > so the most natural thing to do is ship a compatible zlib with OpenSong,
> > unless we prove there is a bug in gcc or zlib.
>
> First of all compiling zlib with the -O3 flag was intended and afaik I
> did this because it is the upstream default. Debian builds zlib with
> "-Wall -g -D_REENTRANT -O3"

I've been using OpenSong previously with the old lib32-zlib, which if
the PKGBUILD has always been this way also uses -O3. In fact I'm pretty
certain if I downloaded our 32-bit zlib package and used it instead, it
would work (since that's what the old lib32-zlib package did).

What's the difference then, using gcc-multilib vs actual 32-bit gcc?