[arch-multilib] Bug with lib32-zlib PKGBUILD

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 12:25:09 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 18:09 +0200, Rémy Oudompheng wrote:
> Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been using OpenSong previously with the old lib32-zlib, which if
> > the PKGBUILD has always been this way also uses -O3. In fact I'm pretty
> > certain if I downloaded our 32-bit zlib package and used it instead, it
> > would work (since that's what the old lib32-zlib package did).
> >
> > What's the difference then, using gcc-multilib vs actual 32-bit gcc?
>
> 32-bit gcc uses -march=x86_64 instead of -march=i686.

Ah. That's true. Just tried it, compiling with -march=i686 and -O3
works.

So here's the combinations that work for me:-
a) -march=x86_64 and no optimization
b) -march=i686 and -O3

If both of these can be attributed to the oddities of the OpenSong
compiled binary then I'll just leave it at that. Will just have to
remember to manually patch lib32=zlib when/if it updates (don't think
that's very often honestly).

I wonder about the validity of compiling lib32 packages with
-march=i686, should it be done that way? Is it, in other distros?