[arch-multilib] Browser plugin location

Robert Meijers robert.meijers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:24:26 EDT 2010

2010/8/31 Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:
> The question is if you want to use our flashplugin package then. It
> depends on nspluginwrapper and thus pulls in many dependencies.

I don't mind the nsplugwrapper dependency (because I still sometimes
(have to) use Firefox, so I also need the nspluginwrapper one). And I
think other Opera users also need this one (with nspluginwrapper)
because they probably also use/test other browsers, which probably
can't run 32 bit plugins as Opera can.

>The reason I didn't put this into the plugin path is because firefox
> throws a warning each time you start it, which might unnecessarily
> concern users.
Just tested, Firefox doesn't look for plugins in the /usr/lib32 plugin
folder (or at least doesn't throw a warning, which it does when I copy
it to the /usr/lib/ one). So it is safe to place the plugin itself in
the /usr/lib32 folder and (at least) Firefox won't complain about a 32
bit plugin.