[arch-multilib] common variables in PKGBUILD

Harvey harv at gmx.de
Wed Sep 15 03:54:13 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Some time ago I asked for your comments on my PKGBUILD for
lib32-libgtkhtml. After some corrections I uploaded it to the AUR
(http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=40554). Some additional
comments came in then and now I'm kinda stuck.

You guys use common variables like _pkgbasename in your PKGBUILDs for
the multilib repository. This seems to be against the AUR Packaging
Standards (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards)
Quote:
"Do not introduce new variables into your PKGBUILD build scripts, unless
the package cannot be built without doing so, as these could possibly
conflict with variables used in makepkg itself. If a new variable is
absolutely required, prefix the variable name with an underscore"

But... Using these common variables is a lot easier (and more elegant)
especially if it comes to maintaining a PKGBUILD over the time.

I'd vote for changing the wiki to a less harsh standard by allowing
_any_ variable prefixed with an underscore.

Sadly not even the AUR webinterface pays attention to variables right
now. By using a source like

_majorver=(`echo $pkgver | egrep -o '[0-9]+\.[0-9]*+'`)

source=(http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/$_pkgbasename/$_majorver/$_pkgbasename-$pkgver.tar.bz2)

the source link on the AUR page of the Pakage breaks...

Any comments/advices on that?

Harvey

--
Linux is like a wigwam: No Gates, no Windows and an Apache inside