[arch-multilib] new multilib packages for a native steam (+ call for contribution)

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 15 02:31:56 UTC 2016

Hey ho,

the current steam is kind of wonky related to its own provided runtime
environment and (under certain conditions) is leading to crashes. In
such situations it requires annoying manual tinkering.

To provide a better steam experience (and a better working package)
Maxime and me are planning to make a natively working steam by getting
rid of its own wonky runtime. To achieve this, we need to add the
following new multilib packages:

lib32-dbus-glib
lib32-gconf
lib32-libcurl-compat
lib32-libcurl-gnutls
lib32-libglew1.10
lib32-libjpeg6
lib32-libnm-glib
lib32-libpng12
lib32-libtiff4
lib32-libudev0
lib32-sdl2_image
lib32-sdl2_mixer
lib32-sdl_mixer

Assuming that nobody has strong objections to bring in 13 new multilib
packages to achieve this great goal, there is another small piece that
Thomas pointed out:

As libudev0 will not work when running with a different udev daemon, we
need to write a wrapper that is binary-compatible to libudev.so.0, but
works well with current systemd versions.

As I'm currently not sure when I will have time to create such wrapper,
it would be awesome if someone could volunteer!

== Details:

< brain0> so, a wrapper that:
          1) presents itself as libudev.so.0
          2) does not have symbol versioning
          3) passes all functions to libudev.so.1 except for
             udev_device_unref, udev_enumerate_unref, udev_queue_unref,
             udev_unref (which it passes, but removes the return value)
< brain0> and we need to readd some deprecated functions which simply
          return a shitty static string
< brain0> udev_get_sys_path(), udev_get_dev_path() and
          udev_get_run_path() need to be readded, but they are trivial