[arch-ports] x86_64 port

syamajala at gamebox.net syamajala at gamebox.net
Thu Aug 4 21:39:52 EDT 2005

Well, its been more than 6 months since the port was started. I think
a lot of good progress has been made. There are well over 650
packages. I'm not really as organized as I could be, packages that I
use have are top priority for me. So there is a mix of extra packages
and current packages. Then I just do random packages. I would also
like to migrate to gcc 4 and add 32bit support, or make it optional.
It probably should not be optional because there are things like grub
that need to be 32bit. Right now the grub package has been compiled
on a 32bit system but it has been statically linked. There are also
things like flash and opera. Cvsup needs to be fixed. The pacman
issue that kth5 talked about needs to be fixed. Dorphell suggested
that it might be a problem with the kernel. Also, one major request
has been to support the intel 64bit chip. So when things are migrated
to gcc 4 i would like to change the flags to support both cpu (intel
64bit chip whatever it may be called and the amd64). All in all I
think the future is bright for arch and its various ports!

- Seshu (syamajala)