[arch-ports] integration of ports into original archlinux

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 10 21:23:27 EDT 2005

> IF i look at this PKGBUILD I don't feel like this is the way things should go.. or at least I don't thing
> this is the way things are done in Arch.
>
> The more simpler solution would be to simply seperate the PKGBUILDS/pkgs  like Judd already started.

My problem with seperating PKGBUILDs is, if we actually want to keep the
ppc version of arch with the same options as the i686 version, there will
be a lot of manual merging.  Nothing in our process would help to keep them
together.  We'd essentially be using arch i686 as a base and creating a new
distro that may or may not be anything like the arch i686 now.

Which also seems to (on the surface) mean we need just as many developers
for each port.

> I can imagine one thing:
> [snip]
> # Architecture : PPC
> # $Id: PKGBUILD,v 1.52 2005/07/13 20:09:02 joe Exp $
> # Maintainer: joe <j.r.h at ty.coon>
> [/snip]

That means we have many PKGBUILDs that are exactly the same across ports,
but it's difficult to know which are which.  There's lots of duplicated
data.

Jason

--
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand,
things are just as they are.