[arch-ports] Archlinux/PPC suffering

syamajala at gamebox.net syamajala at gamebox.net
Fri Apr 7 19:58:47 EDT 2006

On Apr 7, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Matthew G wrote:

> Well I'm not sure what to say so I'll just say whats on my mind.
>
> It think that a ppc port is becoming useless especially because mac as
> switched to the intel chips and in a year or two ppc will be pretty
> much of date. Most geeks that want to run ppc linux on there macs will
> have a new mactel. It just seems like you guys are trying to put to
> much work into something that will end up dying in a year or two.
> Arch64 has a better chance because it is much newer techology.
>
> I hope that I don't sound like a complete jerk.

Personally, I think nothing could be farther from the truth. I think
ppc is going through a renaissance  because apple is leaving. There
are new powerpc chips on the way, from quad core to octa-core. IBM is
already working on the next gen of powerpc chips too. ppc still owns
the embedded market as well. Please do some more reading...

- Syamajala