[arch-ports] install archlinuxppc on a powerbook g4

Benoit Chesneau benoitc at archlinuxfr.org
Tue Jan 3 01:24:50 EST 2006

Hi all,

Today I reinstalled my powerbook g4 with archlinuxppc since I
broke /var/lib/pacman last week and can't reinstall any packages ...
Find here a quick summary of steps I follow :

1) Download and burn the iso :
ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/iso/snapshots/2005-07-02_archppc.iso.bz2

2) At boot go in the open firmware shell (command + option + O + F) and
type the folowing :
boot cd:,\\yaboot

This command allow your powerbook to boot on archlinuxppc cd.

3) Set up the network :

I use a powerbook with airport extreme (powerbook 5,6) so I have to use
ethernet to install archlinux. So I load sungem module :
modprobe sungem.

For owner of titanium powerbook or ibook, you just have to load airport
module :
modprobe airport

Dhcp ddidn't work actually on archlinuxppc install, you have to manually
set up network :

ifconfig eth0 <IP>
route add default gw <GATEWAY>

Edit /etc/resolv.conf with vim and add your nameservers, ie enter line
like it :

nameserver IP.OF.NAMESERVER1
nameserver IP.OF.NAMESERVER2

3) Create your partitions and format then :

mac-fdisk /dev/discs/disc0/disc

- Erase default partitions :
I only install linux on the powerbook, so I erased all partition : type
- Create apple boot partion :
type b

- Add your partitions : I actually use a simple partition shema :

/ -> 15G
swap -> 1,5G
/home -> 55 G

Result of partitionning :
        #                    type name                  length   base
( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @ 1
( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap               1600 @ 64
(800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda3         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root                31457280 @ 1664
( 15.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                 3072000 @
31458944  (  1.5G)  Linux swap
/dev/hda5         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 home               121770544 @
34530944  ( 58.1G)  Linux native

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=156301488
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

- Format partitions with ext3 filesystem:
mke2fs -j /dev/discs/disc0/part3
mke2fs -j /dev/discs/disc0/part5

- Format swap partition :
mkswap /dev/discs/disc0/part4

4) Create a chrooted archlinuxppc

- Mount your partitions :
mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc0/part3 /mnt
mkdir /mnt/home
mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc0/part5 /mnt/home

- Dl quickinst. Actually quickinst isn't on cd and you need a modified
script from i686 version. Type the following :
cd /tmp
wget ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/other/quickinst

- Install the base :
cd /tmp
./quickinst ftp /mnt ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/current/os/ppc

- Mount chroot
mount -t proc none /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs none /mnt/sys
mount /mnt /bin/bash
source /etc/profile
udevstart

Nb: udevstart create right devices in /dev

5) Edit configuration files
file /etc/fstab; /etc/rc.conf, /etc/yaboot.conf, /etc/hosts

*) Example of /etc/fstab with previous patition shema:
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0
0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0
0
tmpfs                  /tmp          tmpfs     defaults            0
0

#/dev/cdrom             /mnt/cd   iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0
0
#/dev/cdrom             /mnt/dvd  udf       ro,user,noauto,unhide   0
0

/dev/hda3		/	     ext3      defaults		    0      0
/dev/hda4               swap         swap      defaults             0
0
/dev/hda5               /home        ext3      defaults             1
1

*) Example of /etc/yaboot.conf

boot=/dev/hda2
device=/pci at f4000000/ata-6 at d/disk at 0:
partition=3
delay=10
timeout=40
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
image=/boot/vmlinux26
	label=Linux
	root=/dev/hda3
	initrd=/boot/initrd26.img
	read-only
Note: to obtain device line, type the following on the shell:
ofpath /dev/hda

Example of /etc/rc.conf

LOCALE=en_US.utf8
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"
TIMEZONE=Europe/Paris
KEYMAP=mac-fr-ext_new
CONSOLEFONT=lat9w-16
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"
MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"
MOD_BLACKLIST=()

MODULES=(sungem !usbserial)
USELVM="no"
HOSTNAME="enlil.metavers.net"
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="eth0 192.168.0.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.254"
ROUTES=(gateway)
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !hotplug !pcmcia network netfs crond sshd)
Note : If u use airport device add airport to your module list and add
eth1 to your ethernet devices. To have airport as eth1 devices add these
line to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias sungem eth0
alias airport eth1

6) Install kernel & openssh

pacman -Sy kernel26-pmac openssh

7) Install yaboot in the boot (be sure to have edited yaboot.conf)

mkofboot
ybin -v

8) Add a password to the root :

passwd root

9) add a user

useradd <USERNAME>

10) Reboot

That it and now you can use your powerbook with archlinux ppc, install X
and so on...  with pacman :)

- Benoît