[arch-ports] [ArchPPC] Help regarding the install procedure

james at nullstudios.com james at nullstudios.com
Fri Jun 16 11:44:20 EDT 2006

> James Turner wrote:
> > Hi, I'm a new archlinux user and new to this mailing list, so please
> > take it easy on me.  I am having a hell of a time getting archlinux
> > installed on my 12in PowerBook 1.33 GHz.  I have followed the steps
> > under "*Installation on newworld machines" numerous times with various
> > success.  Most recently quickinst seems to stale for no reason while
> > downloading packages.  The one time I managed to get archlinux
> > completely installed the kernel would not boot.  If anyone has more up
> > to date instructions or any ideas why the quickinst script might be
> > stalling please help.  Once I get the base system installed I can always
> > compile my own kernel.  I appreciate any help anyone might be able to
> > offer.*
>
> Except for the devfs vs udev issues, the guide still fully applies. It
> may be that you run into problems if you use the sample yaboot.conf.
> Did you use ofpath to determine your "device" and "partition" lines?
>
> You may try the latest snapshot which is here:
>
> ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/iso/snapshots/2006-06-14_archppc.iso.bz2
>
> It still has a few flaws which need to be fixed:
> * does not create device nodes for harddrives use instead:
>
>   cd /dev
>   mknod hda b 3 0
>   mknod hda1 b 3 1
>   mknod hda2 b 3 2
>   mknod hda3 b 3 3
>   mknod hdb  b 4 1
>
> a.s.o
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex

Alex, Thanks for your help.  I did manage to get ArchLinux installed
just fine last night.  I followed the above procedure.  I also had to
mknod nvram c 10 144, so yaboot would install correctly and I had to
run modprobe loop so the kernel would install correctly.  I can proudly
say I am writing this from ArchLinux on my 12in PowerBook.