[arch-ports] [ArchPPC] Help regarding the install procedure

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Fri Jun 16 11:54:50 EDT 2006

james at nullstudios.com wrote:
>> James Turner wrote:
>>> Hi, I'm a new archlinux user and new to this mailing list, so please
>>> take it easy on me.  I am having a hell of a time getting archlinux
>>> installed on my 12in PowerBook 1.33 GHz.  I have followed the steps
>>> under "*Installation on newworld machines" numerous times with various
>>> success.  Most recently quickinst seems to stale for no reason while
>>> downloading packages.  The one time I managed to get archlinux
>>> completely installed the kernel would not boot.  If anyone has more up
>>> to date instructions or any ideas why the quickinst script might be
>>> stalling please help.  Once I get the base system installed I can always
>>> compile my own kernel.  I appreciate any help anyone might be able to
>>> offer.*
>> Except for the devfs vs udev issues, the guide still fully applies. It
>> may be that you run into problems if you use the sample yaboot.conf.
>> Did you use ofpath to determine your "device" and "partition" lines?
>>
>> You may try the latest snapshot which is here:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/iso/snapshots/2006-06-14_archppc.iso.bz2
>>
>> It still has a few flaws which need to be fixed:
>> * does not create device nodes for harddrives use instead:
>>
>>   cd /dev
>>   mknod hda b 3 0
>>   mknod hda1 b 3 1
>>   mknod hda2 b 3 2
>>   mknod hda3 b 3 3
>>   mknod hdb  b 4 1
>>
>> a.s.o
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alex
>>
> Alex, Thanks for your help.  I did manage to get ArchLinux installed
> just fine last night.  I followed the above procedure.  I also had to
> mknod nvram c 10 144, so yaboot would install correctly and I had to
> run modprobe loop so the kernel would install correctly.  I can proudly
> say I am writing this from ArchLinux on my 12in PowerBook.

Glad to hear you were successful! :D

Just now I uploaded yet another snapshot:

ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/iso/snapshots/2006-06-16_archppc.iso.bz2

The hardware detection should work fine plus /dev is now properly
filled. What's left is to modify the "graphical" setup script, which I
am in the middle of doing right now. So whenever you feel like it try
the newer ones too.

Cheers!

Alex