[arch-ports] [ArchPPC] Help regarding the install procedure

James Turner james at nullstudios.com
Fri Jun 16 16:15:54 EDT 2006

>>> The latest iso should come with the default quickinst script as in
>>> i686,
>>> so it uses snarf instead of wget now. I will check what may have
>>> produced the problem. Though I'll doubt the iso doesn't have the
>>> required symbols in its libc, like it used to on some of the other
>>> isos.
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>
>> After trying out the iso again, I am able to ping ip's outside my
>> network just fine, but still nothing is resolving.  Let me know if
>> there's anything I can run on my machine to better help you find the
>> problem.
>
> You're still running quickinst right? I'll put strace on the next disk
> to debug it a little more. Can only be something in pacman or snarf.
> Unfortunatley I won't have much time tonight as I have to prep an art
> show. :)
>
> Alex

In hopes to better help you out with the debug, here is the procedure
I am following with the new iso.

dhcpd eth0
mac-fdisk /dev/hda
mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda4
mkswap /dev/hda5
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda4 /mnt
/arch/quickinst ftp /mnt ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/current/os/ppc

Then these errors are outputted:

mount: can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
Downloading pacman...
ftp.archlinuxppc.org: Unknown server error
error: Download failed

And here is my /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 68.87.77.130

Take your time, like I said I was able to get archlinux installed
with the previous iso and old walkthrough.  If you need any help with
anything let me know.