[arch-ports] [ArchPPC] Help regarding the install procedure

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Thu Jun 22 14:32:15 EDT 2006

Alexander Baldeck wrote:
> Tate Johnson wrote:

>>> In hopes to better help you out with the debug, here is the
>>> procedure  I am following with the new iso.
>>>
>>> dhcpd eth0
>>> mac-fdisk /dev/hda
>>> mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda4
>>> mkswap /dev/hda5
>>> mount -t ext3 /dev/hda4 /mnt
>>> /arch/quickinst ftp /mnt ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/current/os/ppc
>>>
>>> Then these errors are outputted:
>>>
>>> mount: can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
>>> Downloading pacman...
>>> ftp.archlinuxppc.org: Unknown server error
>>> error: Download failed
>>>
>>> And here is my /etc/resolv.conf
>>> nameserver 68.87.77.130
>>>
>>> Take your time, like I said I was able to get archlinux installed
>>> with the previous iso and old walkthrough.  If you need any help
>>> with  anything let me know.

>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I am also experiencing similar issues to James with my G4 iBook. I'm
>> using the latest ISO (2006-06-16) and following the steps from the
>> previous E-Mail. I'm unable to resolve any domain names, however, I can
>> still ping IP addresses. I had entered various different nameservers
>> in /etc/resolv.conf and it doesn't seem to have any effect.
>> At any rate, I tried to issue the following command (IP for the FTP
>> server)
>>
>> /arch/quickinst ftp /mnt ftp://83.246.120.33/current/os/ppc
>>
>> Initially this was successful, except that pacman is unable to sync it's
>> database. In addition, I also get complaints.
>>
>> Mount: can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to see Arch PPC on my
>> iBook.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tate
>>

> Tate,
>
> thank for trying out the ISO. I was working on it a bit over the
> weekend  and resolved some issues that will fix the problem. Since I'm
> not home right now the upload has to wait a bit until tonight. Please
> bear with me. :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex

Hello again,

finally, I made it back home safely from the Fete de la Musique. My last
two nights were really busy so that's why I delayed releasing the newest
snapshot a bit. :)

Anyways, get it while it's hot:

ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/iso/snapshots/2006-06-22_archppc.iso.bz2

What's new?
 * DNS resolution problem fixed (missin libnss_dns-2.4.so on iso)
     quickinst method should work now
 * few fixes to the setup script, don't expect it to fully work yet though

With that said, I'd like to go for a walk now. :)

Cheers!

Alex